"It's the way we do our job to protect the environment"
Electric Boat is committed to the preservation of the environment and compliance with all relevant environmental laws and regulations.
We foster this commitment through the implementation of environmentally
sustainable processes, pollution prevention, and a continual improvement
focus in the design, construction, delivery and maintenance of submarines,
and other contracted products and services.
Electric Boat recognizes environmental resources management as among the highest of its priorities and shall incorporate and practice these key elements into daily work activities:
- Commitment to the Environment. Operations are conducted in a manner that safeguards the natural environment and preserves natural resources; therefore, source reduction, material recovery and material recycling, as opposed to disposal are considered wherever feasible.
- Compliance with Regulations. Environmental standards are developed and implemented to meet all applicable Federal, state and local laws and regulations, and comply with other requirements to which the organization subscribes.
- Continual improvement. Environmental considerations will be integrated into all business decisions by being proactive in reducing or eliminating the use of hazardous/industrial materials as well as the generation and disposal of hazardous, industrial or mixed waste. Electric Boat regularly reviews its environmental policy to ensure its suitability as well as to ensure continuous improvement in environmental management systems, practices and procedures. Periodic environmental assessments are conducted to identify nonconformance evaluation and follow up corrective actions, as needed.
- Prevention of Pollution. Electric Boat will design its products and select its processes in such a way as to reduce or eliminate hazardous/industrial material wherever possible and to minimize or eliminate pollution. Product design and process selection will adhere to proven principles, including material review prior to selection, thorough engineering controls, adequate pre-work planning, minimization of materials used, and segregation of hazardous from non-hazardous materials. Every employee is encouraged to recommend improved hazardous materials work practices.
- Responsibility. All levels of leadership and management are responsible for fostering commitment to adhering to company environmental procedures, continuous improvement in environmental matters and establishing and attaining goals within each organization to affect this policy. Electric Boat requires active participation and involvement by all personnel in following established environmental procedures.
- Electric Boat will promote reasonable environmental practices and principles to suppliers and subcontractors. Electric Boat encourages open communications with surrounding communities, employees, customers and government officials.
- Training. Electric Boat will educate, train and motivate employees
to conduct all activities in an environmentally responsible manner.